N 40° 27’ 49” W 3° 44’ 59”
Work on your G.P.A from a unique G.P.S.
Discover the county that has captured the imagination of artists, poets, pilgrims, and saints for centuries. Spearheaded by the Catholic Studies program, the course offerings will help you engage with the artistic, historical, and religious influences that have uniquely defined the culture of the Spanish people.
Spain has captured the imagination of artists, poets, pilgrims, and saints for centuries. From the edge of continental Europe, it exists today a dynamic fusion of its Germanic and Roman roots. Visitors to the country encounter architecture and art that reveal deeply Christian, Jewish, and Islamic influences as well as culture that reflect subtle but entirely unique regional differences.
Participants on the 2017 travel-study will move from the northern part of Spain in Basque Country toward the dynamic city of Madrid, visiting a multitude of sites and cities along the way. Included in the two-week itinerary are locations such as the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao; the location of the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona; the Royal Palace in Madrid; the 15th century castles of St. Ignatius of Loyola and St. Francis of Xavier; and the bustling but incredibly beautiful beaches of San Sebastian.
This unique educational opportunity will allow participants to engage the artistic, historical, and religious influences that have uniquely define the culture of the Spanish people. Along with organized formal trips- museums, historical sites, religious institutions, and cultural centres- participants will have personal time to encounter the sights and sounds of Spain. Whether eating Tapas in a quaint restaurant or dancing Flamenco on the bustling streets, participants will memorably experience authentic Spanish culture.
Participants are responsible for travel to and from Bilbao Spain. They should plan to arrive in the afternoon of May 13th 2017 and must be present until the morning of May 27th 2017. All participants applying for the travel-study must have the approval of the instructor.
Jesuit Centre for Catholic Studies
- Pre-travel : May 1-5, 2017 (5-8:30 pm), St. Paul’s College (17.5 Instructional hours)
- Travel/study: May 13-May, 2017
- Post-travel: June 9, 2017 (7-8.30 pm), St. Paul’s College (1.5 Instructional hours)
Choose from the following courses for a total of 6 credit hours:
- CATH 2100 Field Studies in Catholic Culture: Ireland (6- credit hours)
or two of the following for a total of 6 credit hours:
- RLGN 2850:Contemporary Issues in Roman Catholicism (3 credit hours)
- HIST 2990: The History of Catholicism since 1540 (3 credit hours)
- SPAN 2510: Spanish Civilization (3 credit hours)
- FAAH 2910: Field Study in Art History 1 (3 credit hours)
Details on courses are available online on Aurora. Academic fees are payable to the University of Manitoba. Tuition fees vary for international students.
- $1850 CAD (subject to change), includes accommodation, most meals, in-country transportation, and entrance fees. Airfare to Spain, health and trip cancellation insurance, as well as University of Manitoba tuition are not included. Please inquire for more details.
- All fees are paid to the University of Manitoba by Cheque, Visa, MasterCard or cash.
- A payment of $750.00 CAD is due February 28, 2017 (includes $200.00 non-refundable deposit).
- a second payment of $1100 is due March 31st, 2017
Admission and Requirements
- Students are required to attend pre-trip sessions.
- In order to participate in a travel/study course, all students must sign an Acknowledgement of Responsibility and Liability Waiver that outlines risk and shared responsibility associated with travel/study.
- Canadian residents are advised that a passport is required. Non-Canadians may require visas.
Information on obtaining travel documents is available from:
Toll free: 1-800-567-6868
Participants and students are advised to contact the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority (WHRA) for information on immunization requirements, (204) 940-8747. Please contact the WRHA early as some immunization must be taken well in advance of travel
For More Information
Dr. Jeffrey S. Burwell SJ
phone: (204) 272-9165
Admission, registration and fee payment information:
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
R3T 2N2Phone: +1 204 474-8800
Toll Free: 1 888 216-7011
Fax: +1 204 474-7661