Select Page
Did you know?

Frequently Asked Questions

If your questions are not answered on this page, please contact Student Services and we’d be glad to help you.  Email us at , call us at 1 204 474-8800 or Toll Free: 1 888 216-7011 Ext 8800.


Where can I learn more about COVID-19 from UM?

Current and Domestic Students

What technology do I require to complete this course remotely?

You will require internet connection and a computer equipped with a microphone and camera.  Smart phones will not be sufficient for examinations.

Prospective International Students

Are you accepting the DuoLingo test as proof of English language proficiency for the winter term?

Yes, we are currently accepting the DuoLingo test for the winter 2021 term.

For all approved English Language proficiency information, visit

When is the tuition fee due?

The $300 application fee is due at time of application. If you have been accepted into an Intensive Program, you will be given 3 weeks from the date of your offer letter to make a $2,000 non-refundable deposit. The remaining tuition and health insurance fee is due one month before you begin the program.

Will I have to pay health insurance for months that I am not in Canada?

To be determined.

What happens if I do not hear back regarding my study permit before the payment deadline?

If the payment deadline is approaching and you have not heard back regarding the status of your study permit, you can request a deferral to the following intake.

How is remote study going to impact my PGWP?
What if I am unable to arrive in Canada before the start date of the program?

You are able to begin your program from outside of Canada, as we are offering remote delivery for the Fall 2020 term.

Current International Students

Will a work placement still be provided?

Based on the current situation, all work placements have been temporarily put on hold. You will be expected to take an online Industry Preparatory Class in lieu of the placement. 

How will online classes work with the time difference in other countries?

We are committed to finding innovative methods for remote delivery.  We will have more information regarding this shortly.  

What technology do I require to complete this program remotely?

You will require Internet connection and a computer equipped with a microphone and camera.  Smart phones will not be sufficient for examinations.

How is remote study going to impact my PGWP application?
How do I apply to a Certificate Program?

How to apply to a Certificate Program

Apply to program

Once your application and payment have been processed, your application will be submitted to the Student Advisor for approval. The Student Advisor will contact you to indicate whether your application has been approved or denied, or to let you know if any further documentation is required.

How do I register for a course?

Learn how to register for course(s)

Register for Course(s)

What is an UMNetID? How do I claim one?

Your UMNet ID will allow you to access your UofM email account, your UM Learn account (the university’s learning management system), use University of Manitoba electronic library resources and access to Wi-Fi on campus. It is very important for new students to claim their UMNet ID as soon as possible, as the university will only correspond with you through your email account.

To claim your UMNet ID, please visit signUM. Follow the onscreen instructions to create a new account (be sure to enter your date of birth in the format requested).


I forgot my user ID and password.

If you have forgotten your user ID, please contact Student and Instructor Services at +1 (204) 474-8800 or by email.

If you know your user ID but have forgotten your password, please select the “Forgot password” link underneath the login screen in the flexible registration system.

If you have already claimed your UMNet ID, you may also reset your password through SignUM by logging in and then following the onscreen instructions.

If you require further assistance or your password has been disabled and needs to be reset, please contact our student services team at +1 (204) 474-8800 or by email.

I tried to create an account in FlexReg, but the error message, "Your information is on file in whole or in part comes up." What does this mean?

If this message appears when you are trying to create an account, and you have never applied to or been admitted to the university of Manitoba, it may mean that an individual with the same or similar name already has an account.  Each student may have only one student number, and to ascertain that you are not already in our system, we ask that you contact our office Student and Instructor Services by phone or email. We will be able to generate a student number for you, and send you a temporary password.

If you have applied to, or previously been admitted to the University of Manitoba, even if it was very long ago, you will still have a student number in our system.  If you cannot remember this student number, you may contact Student and Instructor Services at +1 (204) 474-8800 or

How do I drop a class? Will I get a Refund?
How do I appeal my final grade?
How do I view my grades?

Final Grades


Once you have logged in, select the Enrolment & Academic Records tab, and then select Student Records. From here you will be able to click the View Final Grades link, which will allow you to view your grades for any specific term., or you may view an unofficial transcript for your full academic history.

To access final grades or to request an unofficial transcript for non-degree courses which began prior to March 31st 2014, please contact our office at +1 (204) 474-8800 or

Assignment Grades

UM Learn

I am having issues submitting an assignment on UM Learn. Who do I contact?

Non-degree students who are having difficulty submitting an assignment on UM Learn should contact Student & Instructor Services at +1 (204) 474-8800 or to be put in contact with their Course Administrator. Course Administrators have experience with the university’s online learning management system and will be able to assist you.

How do I access my tax receipts (T2202A)?

Tax receipts for all degree courses and non-degree courses (where start dates began after March 31st 2014) can be found on Aurora under the Enrollment and Academic Records tab.  Select “Canadian Tax Forms” and you will be able to view your tax receipts.

Any non-degree student who began their studies prior to March 31st 2014, may request their tax receipts by contacting Student & Instructor Services office at +1 (204) 474-8800 or

I have a Hold on my account. What do I do?

A “Hold Status” will prevent registration and may limit access to your student record. To clear a hold, please contact the Faculty or department responsible for placing the hold on your account.

The most common holds are Financial Holds and are typically due to an outstanding payment. Once payment is received, either in the Cashiers office (138 University Centre) or our Student & Instructor Services office (185 Extended Education Complex), the hold will be removed within 24 hours.

If you have questions regarding your hold, please contact our office at +1 (204) 474-8800 or and we will be able to direct you to the appropriate area.

How do I request a Transcript?

All students must order their transcripts through the registrar’s office, either online through Aurora or by filling out the form.

Please note: Students who took Certificate courses and/or individual courses through Extended Education prior to May 2014 must order their transcripts by completing the Extended Education Transcript Request Form and submitting it to, faxing it to +1 (204) 272-1626 or mailing to Student and Instructor Services, 185 Extended Education Complex, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg MB, R3T 2N2

If all of your Certificate courses and/or individual Extended Education courses were taken after May 2014, please continue with the process outlined through Aurora.

There is a fee for each copy of a transcript. The transcript will include academic history from all levels of study.

I am currently an Undergraduate Student and wish to apply to a Certificate Program while I pursue my degree. Is this possible?

It is possible for a student to pursue both an undergraduate degree and a non-degree certificate at the same time.  To do this, you will need to request a Concurrent Curriculum by submitting this form.

Please fill out the first page and submit both pages with your program application to our Student & Instructor Services office (185 Extended Education Complex or Once admission has been granted for the certificate program, Student & Instructor Services will forward this form to the appropriate Faculty Advisor for undergraduate approval. Please note that your Primary Curriculum will always be your degree program and your secondary curriculum will always be your non-degree program.

How do I replace a lost Student ID card?
I have taken all of the courses required for my program. How do I declare my intent to graduate?

Applying to Graduate

Students need to declare their intent to graduate.  This can be done on-line through Aurora.  (Log into Aurora, select “Enrolment and Academic Records”, select “Declarations”, and follow the instructions.  If the date you wish to graduate does not appear, you may have missed the online application deadline).

The deadline date for declaring your intention is the end of the revision period in the term in which you expect to complete your courses.  For example:

  • for Spring graduation, declare by mid January
  • for Fall graduation, declare by late July/early August
  • for February graduation, declare by mid September

If require assistance declaring your grad date, please contact Student & Instructor Services.

How do I meet with a Student Advisor?

Non-degree students may meet with a Student Advisor/Program Administrator/Assistant. Contact Student & Instructor Services to make an appointment.

I missed the final exam. What are my options?

Contact your program advisor or student advisor.

I will not be able to make the final exam. What are my options?

Contact your program advisor or student advisor.

Can I get some of any previous training and skill recognized?

See Transfer Credit section of Policy and Forms page.
Policy and Forms

How do I apply for credit?

See Challenge for Credit section of Policy and Forms page
Policy and Forms 

If your questions are not answered on this page, please contact Student Services and we’d be glad to help you.  Email us at , call us at 1 204 474-8800 or Toll Free: 1 888 216-7011 Ext 8800.