Project Management: Essentials
Make Career Success Your Ongoing Project
Capitalize on the need for project managers who can take a project from initiation to closing, with a course that will also help you prepare for the Project Management Professional (PMP) exam.
Take advantage of the increasing need for professionals with project management skills and prepare for the Project Management Professional (PMP) exam. Learn the terminology, tools, and techniques required to take a project through all process phases from initiating to planning, executing, monitoring and controlling through closing.
In addition to receiving an overview of key concepts from the Project Management Institute’s A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK Guide), this course is designed to build your confidence and raise your chances of passing the PMP Exam.
PMI and PMBOK are registered trademarks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
Who is the Course for?
- Professionals or students interested in gaining knowledge of project management
- Individuals applying for PMP credential
- Individuals preparing to write the PMP exam
- The standard admission criteria for a certificate program (i.e. university entry as evidenced by a high-school diploma or mature student status) apply.
- Students whose first language is not English may be required to attain a TOEFL score of 550 or 213 on the computer-based TOEFL or an IELTS score of 6.5 in accordance with University requirements.
You’ll be introduced to the principles of successful leadership in project management, including project definition, cost, benefit analysis, planning, scheduling, group dynamics and project completion. At the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Identify principles for successful leadership in project management
- Distinguish between projects, programs and portfolios
- Prepare a project charter and scope statement
- Prepare project work breakdown structure, project network diagrams and project schedule
- Estimate project costs and prepare a project budget
- Identify and manage project risks
- Manage relationships with project team members and other stakeholders
- Manage project issues and changes
- Achieve project quality objectives and successful project outcomes
Laddering / Transfer Credit Arrangements
This course can be used towards applicable certificates or post baccalaureate certificates offered through Continuing and Professional Studies.
- Project Coordinator
- Program Manager
- Team Lead
- Project Manager
Length of Study
36 hour course
What is Online Learning?
Online learning is how we offer the course content. The where and when is completely up to you. You’re free to decide the way that you’d like to integrate the classroom into your life, whether you’d like to do the course work on lunch breaks, in bed, or on a picnic table on a leisurely Saturday afternoon. Simply download the course modules, and learn at your own pace. Remember, instructors are still available to help when you need it.
Online courses are delivered through UofM’s online learning management system UM Learn.
You can register for courses either online or by email, mail, in person or fax. Please note, online registration is not supported on iOS (iPhone) and Android phone browsers.
*** Course listing unavailable.***
Please choose one of the following options:
- Search for Classes directly in FlexReg
- or contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org, 204 474-9921 for assistance.
Register by email, mail, in person or fax
1. Download and fill out Course Registration Form (PDF)
2. Send your completed form by email, mail, in person or fax to:
185 Extended Education Complex
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
R3T 2N2Phone: +1 204 474-8800
Toll Free: 1 888 216-7011
Fax: +1 204 474-7661