Select Page

General Studies

Study Degree Credit Courses Without Seeking a Degree
General Studies provides you with the opportunity to study degree credit courses within various faculties and schools at the University of Manitoba without begin enrolled in a degree. Our students come from all walks of life:

• Professionals developing their careers;
• Students satisfying entrance requirements to professional and other faculties;
• Seniors enriching their lives;
• Students visiting from other institutions;
• Individuals exploring a career change.

Whatever your educational interests, General Studies is a great option for study at the University of Manitoba. Courses are available in the Fall and Winter Terms, Summer Session and through Distance and Online Education.

Particulars about General Studies can be found be navigating the menu on the left side of this page, however, it is important to review the University of Manitoba Undergraduate Calendar for more detailed information about courses, programs, regulations and procedures.
We welcome you and wish you success in your studies.


Admission to General Studies

Academic Requirements

To be admitted to General Studies, students may be eligible for admission in one of the following categories (see Applicant Information Bulletin for General Studies (Extended Education) for details found under Division of Extended Education):

1. Special Student (Transfer Student)
2. Visiting Student
3. Mature Student (Canadian Military ONLY)
4. Concurrent High School Student
5. Auditing Student

1. Special Student (Transfer Student)

A Special Student is one who wishes to take courses for personal or professional reasons but who is not currently pursuing a degree. A Special Student must meet the admission requirements of any one of the following admission categories:

• Mature Student Status (Canadian Military Only)
• minimum 24 credit hours or more of post-secondary college/university studies
• Completed a first degree

Returning Special Student

You are considered a returning special student, if you:

• Have not attended another institution since last attending the University of Manitoba, contact a General Studies Student Advisor to re-activate your record

• Have previously been admitted to General Studies and registered but then withdrew from course(s), contact a General Studies Student Advisor to re-activate your record

• Have previously been admitted to General Studies but did not register for courses at the University of Manitoba, you must re-apply for admission

Transfer Student or Second Degree Student

Students, who have completed a degree, whether at the University of Manitoba or another institution, must apply for admission.

2. Visiting Student

If you are a new Visiting Student, you are required to submit a Letter of Permission from your home university granting permission to register in selected courses.*

Returning Visiting Student

If you have previously been admitted to General Studies and registered in at least one course, you can register in subsequent sessions without re-applying for admission, as long as:

• You have not changed your home university since your last registration in General Studies, and
• You submit the appropriate Letter of Permission from your home university, approving selected course(s), to a General Studies Student Advisor prior to registering.*

*We recommend that you start this process with your home institution early and have a selection of alternate courses approved in case the initial course(s) are full.

3. Mature Status Student

This category applies to:

• Canadian Military and mature students who:
• Do not meet the high school requirements, and
• Are at least 21 years of age, and
• Are a Canadian Citizen or a Permanent Resident, and
• Have never previously attended university or college or, if you have attended, you have completed less than 24 credit hours (four full courses)

4. Concurrent High School

If you are currently in Grade 12 with very strong Grade 11 marks and provide a letter of recommendation from your principal.

Students complete the coursework in their high school, but write the exams on the university campus, contact a General Studes Student Advisor prior to applying.

5. Auditing Student

If you wish to attend lectures for a particular course(s) but do not want to complete the assignments or write the exams and, therefore, not receive a grade or any credit hours upon completion of the course, you can apply for admission to General Studies as an Auditing Student. Auditing student admission is restricted to Canadian Citizens/Permanent Residents only. No documentation other than the information requested on the application form is required for admission purposes. If, at some point, you wish to take a course for credit, you are required to apply for admission to another applicant category.

English Language Proficiency Requirement

All applicants whose primary language is not English are required to demonstrate proficiency in the University of Manitoba’s English language proficiency regulations through one of the options listed at the University of Manitoba Admissions website.

English Proficiency Requirement Information:

English Proviciency Waiver Information:

Results for most language tests, including TOEFL, IELTS, and CanTEST, expire two years from the test date. Test scores must be valid at the start of classes. Please confirm the validity of your test results.

How to Apply

    • • Check the Applicant Information Bulletin for Academic Requirements and deadline dates.
    • • After verifying the application deadline date,
    • • begin the process by completing the online Application for Advanced Entry General Studies (Extended Education) and complete payment of application fee at the end of the application transaction.
    • • All official transcripts or interim transcripts showing current registration are to be submitted online, mailed or dropped off to:

Admissions for General Studies

Enrolment Services, 424 University Centre

University of Manitoba, Winnipeg,MB R3T 2N2

• Applications are not considered received until the application is submitted and the application fee has been paid by the posted deadline.

• All correspondence, including decision release information will be sent via email. (Please ensure your email account remains current. Check your filters.

It is recommended but not required for admission to submit a High School transcript, as first year mathematics, chemistry, and physics courses have prerequisites.

• Mathematics 1000 level prerequisites: a minimum grade of 60% in Pre-calculus Mathematics 40S or the former Mathematics 40S (300), or a grade of “C” or better in the MSKL 100 offered by Extended Education. NOTE: A minimum grade of 70% in Applied Mathematics 40S may be used as a prerequisite to this course.

• Chemistry 1000 level prerequisites: Applied Mathematics 40S or Pre-calculus Mathematics 40S, or the former Mathematics 40S (300); and Chemistry 40S (or equivalent) or CHEM 0900 (002.090) (P), or a minimum grade of “B” in CHEM 1000 or CHEM 1001 (002.100).

• Physics 1000 level prerequisites: Prerequisites: Either Physics 40S, PHYS 0900 (016.090) (P), or equivalent; and either Pre-calculus Mathematics 40S, Applied Mathematics 40S (with 70% or better), or equivalent. It is strongly recommended that students attain a minimum of 70% as the average of their marks in Physics 40S and Pre-calculus Mathematics 40S

International Students
Apply early to allow time for study permit and application processing.

Immigration documents are required if born outside of Canada (Permanent Residence (PR) card or passport).

To contact an Admissions Representative
Phone: (204) 474-8808
Toll free in Canada: 1-800-224-7713 ext. 8808
Ask Umanitoba

Application Fees

Canadian Citizen/Permanent Resident – $90.00 CA
International Student – $120.00 CA

Notification of Decision

Once a decision has been made by the admissions office, all applicants will receive an email notifying them to log into their application portal to view the decision. Students that are offered admission will be required to confirm the acceptance. If the offer is not accepted by the deadline date indicated in the letter, your offer will lapse and you will need to contact the admissions office to discuss the possibility of an extension. It is your responsibility to ensure your email account remains current and that you check it regularly for results.



Refunds In order to receive a refund of fees, students wishing to withdraw from courses must do so before the end of the Revision Period in each term. You must withdraw from courses using Aurora, or with assistance from your Faculty, College or School.Fee AssessmentAccess Aurora Student, → Enter Secure Area and login → Enrolment & Academic Records → Registration → View Account by Term.Age Exemption Tuition fees will be waived if you are a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident and reach age 65 by September 1 for Fall and Winter Terms and May 1 for Summer Session, provided you have been admitted to the University of Manitoba and are eligible to register in a degree program or credit courses. New seniors must provide proof of age at the Registrar’s Office, 400 University Centre or fax two pieces of identification (i.e., Driver’s Licence, Passport) to (204) 269-1065 or mail a copy of two pieces of ID along with your name, birth date, and student number to: Registrar’s Office 400 University Centre University of Manitoba Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2Non-Payment of Fees

Income Tax Receipts

All T2202A forms will be issued online through Aurora Student, → Enter Secure Area and login → Enrolment & Academic Records → Canadian Tax Forms.

Check the information provided, print the form and include it with your tax return. Students without internet access may use University computer labs to print their T2202A. Off-campus students without internet access should call (204) 474-9420. Errors or omissions may be reported to the Registrar’s Office, 400 University Centre or by calling (204) 474-9420. Tax receipts will be available through Aurora Student before the end of February.

Payment Options

Check List

Check admission requirements for your target faculty and read the Applicant Information Bulletin for details• Learn how to register for classes • Determine initial registration timeLog into Aurora, Enter Secure Area > Enrolment and Academic Records > Registration > Registration Time Status• UMSU Health and Dental Plan read details and deadlines for Self Enrolment (opting-in)• Access textbooks View booklists on Aurora Student then checkout the U of M Bookstore in University Centre and the Archives Used Books in the Helen Glass Centre, or order online at• Pay for classes View Account Summary by Term in Aurora Student for tuition total and deadline date • Payment Options and fee deadline dates

Claim U of M computer account After you have registered for classes, obtain your U of M email address

Get a parking pass

Access Distance and Online Learning Courses for directions to accessing course material and course syllabi

• Obtain a UofM Photo ID Card

Check Important Dates and Deadlines

Need help, see an Academic Advisor Available in 185 Extended Education Complex Mon-Thur – 9:00 am to 3:00 pm and Fri – 9:00 a.m. to noon Email: askumanitoba


Registration Dates General Studies students registering for on-campus, Distance & Online Education and Off-Campus Study courses may register according to the following schedule;Students are assigned a Registration Time in Aurora, normally one week prior to the start of registration. Students who accept their offer of admission after the start of registration will be assigned a Registration Time the following day. Log into Aurora Student , enter Secure Area and select Enrolment and Academic Records → Registration → Registration Time Status;Once your Registration Time starts, you will have unlimited access to the registration system for the remainder of the registration period.

On the Registration Time and Status page you can also check to see if there are any holds that may prevent registration. If your student status does not permit registration, please contact the advising staff in General Studies.

Registration Revision Period

You can still register or make changes to your registration schedule during this period, however there will be a late fee charge added to your fee assessment. Go to Important Dates and Deadlines.

Prior to Registration

Check for course prerequisites Applicable prerequisites for each course must have been fulfilled before attempting to register. This information may be found Aurora Student → Course Catalog. Also, see Transfer Students.

Submit written permission Students requiring written permission from a faculty or school must provide the permission form(s) to the General Studies Student Advisor prior to registration.

IMPORTANT: No action (registration) will be taken by this office if we have not received your prior written consent to do so. It is the student’s responsibility to follow-up on your registration to ensure it has been completed and showing up on your Aurora Student Record by the appropriate deadline dates.

Repeat Courses Students are normally permitted to repeat a course only once. Students who wish to repeat a course for which they have previously earned a grade or voluntarily withdrew (VW) from a course (or its equivalent), must obtain permission from a General Studies Student Advisor prior to registering. .

As of Fall 2017 a ‘Repeated Course policy’ enacts a new registration rule called ‘Limited Access’, and will affect you if you want to repeat a course (or its equivalent) that you completed or voluntarily withdrawn (VW) in Fall 2016, Winter or Summer 2017.

Limited Access gives priority registration to students taking a course for the first time. If a student wants to repeat a course that was completed or voluntarily withdrawn (VW), one will be subject to Limited Access in that course for the following THREE terms following when one initially registered, therefore you will be prevented from registering for a course, or its waitlist, until the ‘Limited Access Registration Date’ has passed.

Once the Limited Access Registration Date has passed for a specific term, you may register to repeat a course at any time, but will require permission to do so. Make sure to request a Limited Access registration override prior to your Registration Time for a particular term.

Important Notice: A course from which you previously earned a grade for (or its equivalent) or voluntarily withdrew (VW) is captured in Limited Access only if it was done Fall 2016 or later.

For more information on Limited Access please go to Student Records (Academic Policy Changes , Grade Point Averages Policy , Voluntary Withdrawal Policy).

Aurora Student is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week; however, there will be times when the system is briefly closed for maintenance.

If someone registers on your behalf, please ensure that they have your student number, date of birth, and six-digit PIN. The General Studies Student Advisor will not register anyone in a course without written consent from the student. The General Studies Student Advisor is unable to discuss your student record with a third party (parents, guardians, friends, etc) without your written consent. If you wish for a third party to look into personal details such as tuition fees, courses, marks and registration data, etc., please complete the Consent for Release of Personal Information form and provide it to our office in 185 Extended Education.

You may register for a minimum of 3 credit hours and up to a maximum of 15 credits hours per term; e.g., 15 credit hours during the Fall Term (September – December) and 15 cred hours during the Winter Term (January – April). These course load limits include any course(s) taken on campus, Off-Campus or by Distance and Online Education. If you plan to register for the Summer Session, students are limited to a maximum of 15 credit hours.

Auditing Students: If you plan to audit a course, you are required to provide written permission from the course instructor and yourself to the General Studies Student Advisor. The Advisor will complete your registration once the permissions are provided.

You are required to assess your own fees by viewing your “Account Summary by Term” in Aurora Student. See “Aurora Student Instructions” on how to log in, or you may contact a General Studies Student Advisor to access your account total.

Tuition for auditors is half of the normal tuition fee. Tuition fees are waived if you are a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident and reach the age of 65 by September 1 for Fall and Winter Term and by May 1 for the Summer Term, provided you have been admitted to the University of Manitoba. New seniors must provide proof of age at the Registrar’s Office, 400 University Centre.

Transfer Students: The General Studies Student Advisor will enter overrides for external courses that have been evaluated by the University of Manitoba and satisfy prerequisite requirements. Contact the General Studies Student Advisor prior to registration.

[Note: External credits are not evaluated for transfer credit until the Admissions Office receives your application to a faculty/school. For more information regarding evaluation of external courses, check with the General Studies Student Advisor for details]

Visiting Students: The Letter of Permission from your home institution overrides all prerequisites as stated in the course descriptions in the Undergraduate Calendar, except where a course requires Department Head or Instructor approval. This approval needs to be submitted to the General Studies Student Advisor prior to registration.

Registration Tips – For more registration tips please go to Registrar’s Office.

Courses Available

All undergraduate courses in the following faculties are available to General Studies students. Prerequisites may be required for some courses as outlined in the University of Manitoba Undergraduate Calendar or on Aurora Student > Class Schedule:

• Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences • Faculty of Arts • Clayton H. Riddell Faculty of Environment, Earth, and Resources • I.H. Asper School of Business • Faculty of Science • School of Art (Special student status’ must speak with the faculty regarding permission, Visiting Students are not permitted to register in any course offered due to limited space).

Courses in the following faculties require teaching faculty approval before registering:

• Faculty of Architecture • Faculty of Education (5000 level courses only) • Faculty of Engineering • Faculty of Human Ecology • Faculty of Kinesiology and Recreation Management • Marcel A. Desautels Faculty of Music – Courses are not open to visiting students on a Letter of Permission • Faculty of Nursing • Faculty of Social Work

The exception includes courses open to all students as listed under University 1.

Note: Some faculties may place restrictions on the number of courses students from other faculties/divisions may register for. Summer Session – go to Distance Education – go to

Steps to Registration

1. Learn how to register for classes by reviewing online registration tutorials. 2. Determine initial registration time. Log into Aurora: Enter Secure Area →Enrolment and Academic Records → Registration → Registration Time Status. 3. Access Aurora Student and register your course(s) (see Aurora Student Instructions). 4. Access your Registration Fee Assessment – available the second week of August (see Aurora Student Instructions). 5. Pay your fees by the appropriate deadline (see Fees/Refunds). 6. Obtain a Student Identification Photo ID card at 400 University Centre or 185 Extended Education Complex. For more information, check the Registrar’s website. 7. Obtain your University of Manitoba internet account. 8. Access Distance and Online Education learning courses for direction to accessing course material and course syllabi

Simplified Aurora Student Registration Instructions

Log into Aurora Student and go to: Enrolment and Academic Records →Registration→Registration Time & Status. You will be able to determine the exact date and time of your registration.

Registration is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week until the end of the Registration Revision Period for each term.

To begin, access Aurora Student.

Click on Enter Secure Area

Enter User ID: This is your seven-digit Student Number (found on the top right corner of your Letter of Acceptance)

Enter PIN: Personal Identification Number – if this is your first time accessing Aurora, use your date of birth as YY/MM/DD. Do not enter your Jump password. If you have forgotten your PIN number, call the Registrar’s Office at (204) 474-9420 or Toll free in North America 1-(877) 474-9420.

Click on Enrolment & Academic Records

Click on Registration

Click on Look up classes; Select Term Submit; (you may register for both terms one after the other during your registration period). Select Subject (this is required) Select Course Number; Note: You do not have to select any other attributes to complete a quick search. Select at the bottom of page Get Courses. *To Drop a course go into Add or Drop function, click on the action pull-down menu, select DROP WEB and select Submit Changes ** To add a lecture with a lab, both lecture & lab must be registered at the same time.

Click on the box that corresponds with the section you wish to register in. then select Register.

Go to top of the page (right hand side) and click on Return to Menu

Click on Student Detailed Schedule – (Indicates time/date/location/instructor of course(s) registered). Please note that this is the only confirmation of your registration and you will not receive further affirmation by mail.

Go to top of the page (right hand side) and click on Return to Menu

Click on View Account Summary by Term – Assess your fees even if you have only added one course. Ensure you pay your tuition fees before the deadline indicated on your Registration Fee Assessment, or you will be charged a late fee and a hold will be place on your record. A fee assessment will not be mailed to you.

Go to top of the page (right hand side) and click on Return to Menu

Click on Student Records (View your holds, grades, transcripts and account summary)

Click on View Booklist

You may register in a minimum of 3 credit hours, up to a maximum of 30 credit hours, but only 15 credit hours per term. If you experience difficulties with Aurora, contact the General Studies Student Advisor for assistance at (204) 474-8012 or toll free in Canada 1-888-216-7011 ext. 8012.

Withdrawing From Courses

To withdraw from any course or an entire program of studies, you must use Aurora Student (see Aurora Student Instructions). Simply not attending class or notifying the instructor of your intent to withdraw does not count as a withdrawal (and you will continue to be registered and will be held accountable for all fees charged and grades received).

If you are a student in a program where web registration is not used, you must initiate withdrawal in person, or in writing through the General Studies Student Advisor.

If you withdraw from a first term course which is the prerequisite to a course for which you are registered in second term, you are required to withdraw from the second term course.

Voluntary Withdrawal

Course(s) dropped after the revision period will appear on your academic record as a VW. To withdraw from any course, or an entire program of studies, you must use Aurora Student if you are eligible to do so.

If you are a student with a scholarship, bursary, or student loan, a voluntary withdrawal may affect your eligibility for that financial support. Before withdrawing, consult Financial Aid and Awards, 422 University Centre (474-8197) for information on the impact voluntary withdrawal may have on your financial assistance.

Authorized Withdrawal

Students with valid and documented reasons (e.g. doctor’s note, counselor or psychologist note, hospital note, obituary of an immediate family member, employer letter) for withdrawal, such as medical illness or compassionate circumstances may be authorized to withdraw from a course or courses without academic penalty. Should you wish to apply for an authorized withdrawal, see a student advisor in General Studies. Receipt of an Authorized Withdrawal does not necessarily result in a tuition refund.

Fall & Winter Withdrawal Deadlines

Check the Registrar’s Office website.

Summer Session Withdrawal Deadlines Go to

Remember, voluntary withdrawal deadline dates are final – no extensions.

Transfer Credit If you are a transfer student, external credits are not evaluated for transfer credit until you apply to a degree program. However, the General Studies Office will enter overrides for external courses(s) that have been evaluated by the University of Manitoba and that satisfy prerequisite requirements, provided you have obtained a final grade of “C” or better. Contact a Student Advisor prior to registration. To access the Transfer Credit Equivalencies database go to Aurora Student.

University in High School

University in High SchoolGet a Head Start with the University of Manitoba!What are the benefits? • Earn university credit while still in high school • Increased access and future success at university • Wide range of University 1 courses • Variety of learning formats, times and places • Courses eligible for dual creditAm I eligible to take these courses? Yes, if you have:• Completed a minimum of 20 high school credits, including English 30S, Mathematics 30S, and one of Geography 30S or History 30S with an overall average of 80%; – or – • Completed a minimum of 22 high school credits, including two 40-level courses with an overall average of 70%; – and – • A written recommendation of academic ability from your high school principal; – and – • Registered in high school on a full or part-time basis.Where can I take courses?• Online – anywhere, anytime • Evenings and weekends at various Winnipeg locations

Eligible Courses

Course list is subject to change and eligibility depends on high school courses taken.

Course Schedules

For course schedules and description, check Aurora Student → enter Secure Site → select Class Schedule

Distance and Online Education Courses

U1 Course Listing

Faculty of Arts

    • ANTH 1210 Human Origins and Antiquity (A) (3)
    • ANTH 1220 Cultural Anthropology (A) (3)
    • ARTS 1110 Introduction to University (3)
    • CLAS 1270 Introduction to Ancient Greek Culture (3)
    • CLAS 1280 Introduction to Ancient Roman Culture (3)
    • ECON 1010 Introduction to Microeconomic Principles (3)
    • ECON 1020 Introduction to Macroeconomic Principles (3)
    • ENGL 1200 Representative Literary Works (6)
    • HIST 1200 An Introduction to the History of Western Civilization (G) (6)
    • HIST 1440 History of Canada (C) (6)
    • HIST 2230 History of the United States from 1607 (A) (6)
    • HIST 2380 The Twentieth-Century World (G, M) (6)
    • NATV 1220 The Native Peoples of Canada, Part 1 (3)
    • NATV 1240 The Native Peoples of Canada, Part 2 (3)
    • PHIL 1200 Introduction to Philosophy (6)
    • PHIL 1290 Critical Thinking (3)
    • PHIL 1320 Introductory Logic (6)
    • POLS 1500 Introduction to Politics (6)
    • RLGN 1320 Introduction to World Religions (B) (6)
    • RLGN 1410 Death and Concepts of the Future (C) (3)
    • RLGN 1420 Ethics in World Religions (C) (3)
    • SOC 1200 Introduction to Sociology (6)
    WOMN 1600 Introduction to Women’s and Gender Studies in the Social Sciences (3)

Clayton H. Riddell Faculty of Environment, Earth and Resources

    • ENVR 1000 Environmental Science 1: Concepts (3)
    • GEOG 1280 Introduction to Human Geography (3)
    • GEOG 1290 Introduction to Physical Geography (3)
    • GEOL 1410 Natural Disasters and Global Change (3)
    GEOL 1420 Exploring the Planets (3)

Faculty of Health Sciences: College of Medicine FMLY 1010 Human Development in the Family (3) FMLY 1020 Family Issues Across the Lifespan (3) FMLY 1420 Family Management Principles (3)

Faculty of Agriculture

    • HNSC 1200 Food: Facts and Fallacies (3)
    HNSC 1210 Nutrition for Health and Changing Lifestyles (3)

Faculty of Science

    • COMP 1260 Introductory Computer Usage 1 (3)
    • COMP 1270 Introductory Computer Usage 2 (3)
    MATH 1010 Applied Finite Mathematics (3)

School of Art

    FAAH 1100 Survey of Asian Art (3)

Admission and Registration

Admission • Send in High School transcript and Letter of Recommendation from High School Principle/Counsellor to the address below; • Once the Letter of Recommendation and High School transcript has been received and reviewed, the Application for Admission form to apply for admission to the university will be emailed to the school contact for completion; • The school principle/counsellor along with the student are to complete the application to the University of Manitoba, General Studies (Extended Education) and mail, fax or deliver to the address below;


The student will be advised of admission upon receipt of an Acceptance Letter offer, this letter must be opened and the instructions followed. One may then register 24 hours latersfor degree credit courses.

Register for Your Courses

Use Aurora to register for an evening or Distance and Online Education course(s) and obtain scheduling and fee account summaries, and textbook information.

*Prior to registering watch the online web tutorials for instructions.

For information regarding admission, registration, or other inquiries, contact:

Extended Education 185 Extended Education Complex University of Manitoba Winnipeg,MB R3T 2N2

Phone: +1 204 474-8016 ext. 8330 ot 7154 Toll Free: 1 888 216-7011 Fax: +1 204 474-7661 Email:

Student Resources



Academic Policies

Academic PerformanceAcademic assessment gauges student success at the University of Manitoba. Formal academic assessment shall be done following each academic term for all General Studies students who have completed 30 credit hours or more of attempts. In order to be in “good standing” in General Studies, a student must achieve a Degree Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.00 or greater at each assessment period. Students in “good standing” may continue in General Studies or, preferably, transfer to a target faculty.

Students who do not achieve a Degree GPA of 2.00 will be placed “on probation”, which will appear on the student’s transcript. Once “on probation”, a student will be allowed to register for another term (or terms). At each point of assessment, students “on probation” must achieve a Term GPA of 2.00 in order to proceed. In order to clear probation, a student must achieve a Degree GPA of 2.00. While “on probation”, students are encouraged to consult regularly with the General Studies Student Advisor and always prior to registration.

If a student does not succeed in achieving a Term GPA of 2.00, they will be placed on “academic suspension” for one calendar year. A student on “academic suspension” is normally not allowed to register in another faculty or school at the University of Manitoba or to attend any other post-secondary institution during the time of suspension. Following the suspension period, a student may re-apply for admission to General Studies.

Credit Hour PolicyIn an effort to assist students with academic decisions, you will be required to meet with the General Studies Student Advisor upon completion of 30 credit hours in General Studies. Until you meet with the advisor, a block will be placed on your record to prevent further registration. If you decide to seek a University of Manitoba degree, you are encouraged to apply for admission to the faculty of your choice at the earliest opportunity.

Academic IntegrityThe University places a very high value on academic integrity and therefore treats all matters of academic dishonesty (Plagiarism, Cheating, Inappropriate Collaboration, Fabricating Data, and Submitting Fraudulent Documentation) very seriously. For further information and what constitutes academic dishonesty, go to Student Advocacy.

For information on the Student Appeal process, check the above website.

Examination RegulationsYou must remain available during the entire examination period. Refer to the Academic Schedule for the tentative exam periods. Examination schedules are published approximately six weeks prior to the exam period and are posted in various locations on campus and online. Summer Session final examination dates are posted on the Class Schedule and in the Summer Session Calendar.

Do not make firm commitments to leave campus before the final examination schedules are published for the December and April examination periods by booking airline/travel tickets for vacation or holiday plans anticipating that your exam times can be changed. Deferral requests will not be granted on the basis of these conflicts.

All students will be required to present their current Picture ID Cards during the on-campus examination series. Picture ID cards are available in the Picture ID Centre – Room 400 University Centre or 185 Extended Education Complex

  • Office Hours – Monday – Friday (Except statutory holidays) – 8:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m.
  • For more information on final exams, check the Registrar’s website.

During a Final ExaminationIf a student becomes ill or receives word of a family emergency during the course of an examination and is unable to continue, the student must report at once to the Chief Invigilator, hand in the examination, and indicate either that they wish to submit their examination paper as: (1) completed; or (2) not completed and with the right to request a deferred examination. The Chief Invigilator must record all notifications. Students leaving an examination early in compliance with this section are eligible to apply for a deferred examination. Only students who do not complete the examination and who notify the Chief Invigilator of the reason they cannot complete the examination shall be eligible to apply for a deferred examination.

Exam Deferral Application ProcessThe application must normally be filed within 48 hours of the scheduled date of the missed examination or, in a case where more than one examination was missed, within 48 hours or the scheduled date of the last examination missed.

A student may request a deferred examination(s) on the grounds that one is unable to write said examination(s) due to:

  • Participation in an inter-university, provincial, inter-provincial, national or international
  • Scholastic or athletic event; or
  • Religious obligations; or
  • A medical condition.

Students requesting a deferred examination due to a known condition as listed above must file an application normally twenty (20) working days prior to the day of the scheduled examination with the advising office of the academic unit in which you are registered.

A request based on a medical condition must be accompanied by a medical certificate signed and dated by a physician, counsellor or otherwise appropriate documentation certifying the reason for the deferral, the inability of the student to write the examination at the regular scheduled time, and where possible, an indication of the period of incapacity. Dates indicated on all documentation must be inclusive of the date(s) of the missed exam. Based on the evidence, the Student Advisor or Director of General Studies, Extended Education shall decide whether the application is approved. Based on the student’s ongoing incapacity or other exceptional circumstances a deferral may be granted to a student who files an application after the 48 hour period has lapsed.

A request based on religious obligations – a student who, because of religious obligations, is unable to write a final examination when scheduled, shall be given an opportunity to write a special examination. The student is required to give reasonable notice (approximately three weeks) to the Registrar’s Office prior to the examination series and to present evidence concerning the religious obligations involved; or

Contact a student advisor in General Studies for details or drop-in to 185 Extended Education with your supporting documentation.

Approval of a Deferred Examination Request(s) Initial approval of all deferred examinations by the Student Advisor/Director of General Studies, Extended Education shall be conditional upon verification that you have completed all required components of the course and that it is mathematically possible for you as a student to pas the course by writing the final examination. Approval will be rescinded if these conditions are not met.

Once you have been advised your request for a deferred examination has been approved by a General Studies advisor, you are responsible for immediately contacting the department offering the course to determine the date, time, and location of your re-scheduled examination.

Deferred exams are be to be written within 30 days from the end of the original examination period. If, due to illness or other circumstances you are not able to write the scheduled deferred examination within 30 days, you will have to request a re-deferral. At this point of time, the exam will be written at the department’s discretion, possibly in the next academic term examination series.

Student Services

University Bookstore

The University Bookstore operates on both the Fort Garry and Bannatyne campuses.

Fort Garry Bookstore
140 University Centre
(204) 474-8321

Health Sciences Bookstore
140 Brodie Centre
727 McDermot Ave

University Libraries

The University Libraries serve all faculties, schools, and colleges of the University. For details on library services and regulations or assistance in using the library, contact the reference librarians in the appropriate library.

UM Food Services

During Summer Session a range of food services are available to students, staff and faculty of the University of Manitoba. For your convenience, vending machines are strategically located around the campus.

Parking Services

Student parking is available throughout Summer Session.

Parking Services
Welcome Centre
423 University Crescent
phone: (204) 474-9483

Security Services

UM Security Services operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and provides a safe and secure environment to students, staff and visitors of the University community.