Certificate in University & College Administration (CUCA)
Become an integral member of the administrative team with this certificate program.
At a glance
Program Length: 200 contact hours
Fees: $4,860 plus $100 registration fee
Credential: Earn a Certificate in University and College Administration (CUCA) from the University of Manitoba.
The program is designed to provide a background to the complex cultures and administrative challenges found in modern universities and colleges, and to help practitioners become integral members of the academic administrative team.
Who is the Program for?
- Applicants must meet general admission guidelines for entrance into the University of Manitoba. Individuals currently working in higher education institutions are encouraged to apply.
- Provide an understanding of university and college cultures and governance
- Provide a background so that participants can function as part of the academic/administrative team
- Provide an understanding of student roles, needs and accessibility issues
- Emphasize the role of accurate and concise communication skills for administrators provide an understanding of some of the group dynamics of the workplace
The program consists of a core of four courses and four electives to be selected from three groups of courses, (at least one course must be selected from each group).
- Mission, Culture, and Governance of Higher Education
- Financial Management and Budgeting
- The Role of the Student and Student Needs
- Powerful Communication through Writing
- Conflict Resolution
- Effective Communication
- Administrative Law
- Special Topics: Aboriginal Students and the Post-Secondary Journey
- Working with Cultural Differences (Not currently offered)
- Supporting International Students (Formerly Supporting New Cdn Students)
- Supporting Students with Disabilities
- Special Topics: Assessment of Academic Advising
- Special Topics: Current Issues in Advising
- Special Topics: Advising International Students
- Special Topics: Advising Essentials
- Key Performance Indicators and Accountability
- Strategic Planning at the Unit Level
- Technological Implications – Insights into Higher Education Information Technology
Plan Ahead Course Schedule
|TERM||COURSE NUMBER||COURSE NAME|
|WINTER||CUCA 0102||Mission, Culture and Governance (REQ)|
|CUCA 0106||The Role of the Student and Student Needs (REQ)|
|CUCA 0122||Supporting Students with Disabilities (ELE B)|
|CUCA 0152||Assessment of Academic Advising (ELE B)|
|SPRING/SUMMER||CHRD 0114||Special Topics: Current Issues in Advising (ELE B)|
|CHRD 0116||Special Topics: Advising International Students (ELE B)|
|CUCA 0134||Strategic Planning at the Unit Level (ELE C)|
|FALL||CUCA 0104||Powerful Communications through Writing (REQ)|
|CUCA 0100||Financial Management and Budgeting (REQ)|
|CUCA 0116||Leadership (ELE A)|
|CHRD 0110||Special Topics: Advising Essentials (ELE B)|
|CUCA 0150||Special Topics: Aboriginal Students and the Post-Secondary Journey (ELE B)|
|CUCA 0130||Branding (ELE C)|
What is Online Learning?
Can I just enroll in a single course if I'm not interested in the entire program?
Applications may be made to the certificate program at any time.
Fill Out an Application Form
Download and submit a completed Program Application Form.
Transfer Credits: Previous Extended Education Courses
Transfer Credits: From Other Institutions
Register ONLINE Now
- Select a course and Click “Register” for a course in the term you wish to begin
- “Submit” the Registration Form
- Pay for the course
For more information, email us firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: To register for additional course, return to the program page and repeat the process above.
Course CancellationsExtended Education reserves the right to cancel courses in the event of insufficient registration. If a course must be cancelled, all registrants will be placed on a waitlist, and notified once the next offering of the course is available.
RefundsIf payments have been processed prior to course cancellation, arrangements will be made for either a full refund or a credit to be applied towards another Extended Education course offering. This credit will only be carried over for one year.
Participant CancellationsIf a participant cancels their registration in a course prior to the course start date there will be no fees charged. Cancellations must be submitted in writing or by email prior to the course start date.
Participant WithdrawalsIf a participant withdraws from a course after the course start date there will be no refunds issued. Course withdrawals must be submitted in writing or by email.
185 Extended Education Complex
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
R3T 2N2Phone: +1 204 474-8800
Toll Free: 1 888 216-7011
Fax: +1 204 474-7661