Applied Human Resource Management
A Year of Living, Learning, and Working in Canada
Discover a lifetime of professional opportunity … from Winnipeg to the world. The Applied Human Resource Management Program will help you advance your career or create new opportunities by increasing your intercultural fluency and giving you international work experience.
Ideally suited for internationally educated professionals with a human resources career choice, the curricula combines comprehensive human resource management training with targeted language support and valuable on-the-job experience that you can apply here to anywhere.
The field of Human Resources provides exciting career choices. Responsibilities of professionals in this field include attracting, motivating and retaining the most important asset of an organization, its employees. Human Resources is often seen as the link between an organization’s management and its employees and provides the knowledge, tools and employee services that make an organization a positive workplace. Completing a Certificate in Human Resource Management (HRM) prepares you for work in this field and is an excellent starting point for a rewarding career path.
Additional career success workshops, mentorship opportunities, and a path to professional designation – with an industry recognized association, make Applied Human Resource Management (AHRM) an ideal pathway towards professional success in Manitoba and beyond.
Certificate and Letter of Accomplishment (LOA)
Who is the Program for?
- An undergraduate degree
- A minimum of a 2-year post-secondary credential from a recognized institution may be considered.
- A minimum of IELTS 6.0; however, 6.5 is strongly recommended.
- If you have lower proficiency scores, you can receive conditional admission with an IELTS 5.0, but you will have to successfully complete Level 700 in the Intensive English Program in order to meet the entrance requirements.
- With an undergraduate degree: a minimum of 1 year of full-time demonstrated professional work experience will be given preference.
- With a 2-year post-secondary credential: a minimum of 6 months of full-time demonstrated work experience is required; candidates with a minimum of 1 year of full-time work experience will be given preference.
Complete the following application form and submit all required documents.
- Download and complete the Application form fill out the Application form (PDF) https://umextended.ca/abm-ahrm-form
- Include a translated copy of your academic transcript
- Include proof of graduation (official degree or post-secondary credential)
- Include a translated copy of your resume or curriculum vitae
- Include a letter of Reference from an employer
- Include proof of English language proficiency. (i.e. IELTS – academic stream, TOEFL pBT, TOEFL iBT)
- Include a copy of your passport
- Strengthen your resume: Gain a University of Manitoba certificate, Certificate in Human Resource Management and Administration), a recognized university credential, and apply for a professional designation with the Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR) subject to their requirements.
- Letter of Accomplishment: Career Preparation to develop the soft skills that will help you succeed in the Canadian workplace: learn how to successfully apply for jobs, build your communication skills and begin to network;
- Ladder into a degree at the University of Manitoba: 24 credit hours of the certificate program can be applied towards the Bachelor of Arts: Integrated Studies.
- Benefit from the Government of Manitoba initiatives for international students to work and live in Manitoba. To find out more, please check the website of the Government of Manitoba. To find out if you qualify for work opportunities in Manitoba, please also check the Government of Canada website.
- Application fee: $300
- Tuition: $12,900
- Total: $13,200 + textbooks
Certificate in Human Resource Management
- HRM 0100 – Managing the Human Resource Function
- HRM 0110 – Human Resource Legislation
- HRM 0122 – Recruitment and Selection
- HRM 0124 –Workplace Health and Safety
- HRM 0128 – Measuring Human Resource Efficiency and Effectiveness
- HRM 0126 – Strategic Human Resource Planning
- HRM 0210 – Total Compensation
- MGMT 0110 – Organizational Behaviour
- MGMT 0202 – Staff Training and Development
- HRM 0202 – Labour Relations
- HRM 0134 – Ethics and Social Responsibility
Letter of Accomplishment: Career Success in Canada
- MGMT 0132 – The Canadian Workplace
- MGMT 0138 – Intercultural Communication
- CONV 0208 – Pronunciation Clinic
- MGMT 0134 – Powerful Business Writing
- MGMT 0142 – Effective Presentation Skills
- MGMT 0136 – Networking 101
Support and Work Placement
- Support Services
- Language Needs Assessment
- Language and Study Support
Work Placement Work-integrated Learning Project
- 175 hour internship placement
- Placement determined by resume and professional goals
How long does it take to complete the program?
What is a Letter of Accomplishment (LOA)?
If your plans change, are you eligible for a refund?
Do I have to take the courses in a specific order?
Can I just enroll in a single course if I'm not interested in the entire program?
1. Fill Out an Application Form
Download and submit a completed Program Application Form.
2. Gather Your Transcripts and Documents:
Your submission will include:
- A translated copy of your academic transcript. Photocopies are accepted for applications however originals are required upon arrival.
- Proof of graduation (copy of degree or diploma)
- A copy of your passport
- Proof of English language proficiency if not from an English exempt country. (i.e. IELTS, TOFEL pBT, TOFEL iBT, CLB, TOEIL)
- A copy of your resume or CV
- A letter of reference from an employer
Transcripts become the property of University of Manitoba and will not be returned.
3. Submit Your Documents:
Submit completed application form, transcripts and documents, along with your $300 application fee payment to:
Student and Instructor Services185 Extended Education Complex
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB, R3T 2N2
or by email: email@example.com
4. Reserve your seat:
Your application will be reviewed and assessed within 5 – 10 business days. If you meet the program’s eligibility criteria and if seats are available, you will be offered admission to the program you applied for. To reserve your seat, you must make a non-refundable $2,000 tuition deposit within 3 weeks of receiving your admission offer. Upon receipt of your payment, we will issue a Letter of Acceptance to you. If your tuition deposit is not received, your admission offer will expire.
5. Make final payment:
One month prior to your program start date, the remainder of the tuition ($10,000) must be paid to the the University.
Upcoming IntakesApplied Business Management
May 2018 - Closed
Sept 2018 - Closed
Jan 2019 - Open
Applied HR Management
May 2018 - Closed
Sept 2018 - Closed
Jan 2019 - Open
Intensive English Program
Monthly Start dates Open
Important information to help you have a positive experience in Continuing and Professional Studies. (PDF)
Bachelor of Arts Integrated Studies
Take your education to the next level and apply your certificate towards an undergraduate degree. Graduates of the Applied Human Resource Management (AHRM) program are eligible to use their certificates in pursuit of a Bachelor of Arts Integrated Studies degree.