Applied Business Management
A Year of Living, Learning, and Working in Canada
Discover a lifetime of professional opportunity … from Winnipeg to the world. The Applied Business Management Program will help you advance your career or create new opportunities by increasing your intercultural fluency and giving you international work experience.
Ideally suited for internationally educated professionals with a business management career choice, the curricula combines comprehensive management training with targeted language support and valuable on-the-job experience that you can apply from here to anywhere.
Launch your career in the Canadian workplace by developing essential management skills, and embark on your employment path in Manitoba.
Certificate courses range from managerial communication, to legal perspectives and financial management. Additional career success workshops, mentorship opportunities, and a path to professional designation – with an industry recognized association, make Applied Business Management an ideal pathway towards professional success in Manitoba and beyond.
Certificate and Letter of Accomplishment (LOA)
Who is the Program for?
- An undergraduate degree
- A minimum of a 2-year post-secondary credential from a recognized institution may be considered.
- A minimum of IELTS 6.0; however, 6.5 is strongly recommended.
- If you have lower proficiency scores, you can receive conditional admission with an IELTS 5.0, but you will have to successfully complete Level 700 in the Intensive English Program in order to meet the entrance requirements.
- With an undergraduate degree: a minimum of 1 year of full-time demonstrated professional work experience will be given preference.
- With a 2-year post-secondary credential: a minimum of 6 months of full-time demonstrated work experience is required; candidates with a minimum of 1 year of full-time work experience will be given preference.
Complete the following application form and submit all required documents.
- Download and complete the Application form fill out the Application form (PDF) https://umextended.ca/abm-ahrm-form
- Include a translated copy of your academic transcript
- Include proof of graduation (official degree or post-secondary credential)
- Include a translated copy of your resume or curriculum vitae
- Include a letter of Reference from an employer
- Include proof of English language proficiency. (i.e. IELTS – academic stream, TOEFL pBT, TOEFL iBT)
- Include a copy of your passport
- Strengthen your resume: Gain a University of Manitoba certificate (Certificate in Management and Administration) a recognized university credential, and apply for a professional designation with the Canadian Institute of Management subject to their requirements.
- Letter of Accomplishment: Career Preparation to develop the soft skills that will help you succeed in the Canadian workplace: learn how to successfully apply for jobs, build your communication skills and begin to network;
- Ladder into a degree at the University of Manitoba: 24 credit hours of the certificate program can be applied towards the Bachelor of Arts: Integrated Studies.
- Benefit from the Government of Manitoba initiatives for international students to work and live in Manitoba. To find out more, please check the website of the Government of Manitoba. To find out if you qualify for work opportunities in Manitoba, please also check the Government of Canada website.
- Application fee: $300
- Tuition: $13,740
- Total: $14,040.00 (Textbooks costs are additional and are approximately $1,000.00)
fees are subject to change
Certificate in Management and Administration
- MGMT 1030 – Canadian Business Law
- MGMT 0150 – Project Management
- MGMT 0100 – Canadian Business: An Introduction
- FINC 0300 – Financial Management
- FINC 0200 – Introductory Accounting for Business
- MGMT 0120 – Managerial Communication
- MGMT 0110 – Organizational Behaviour
- MGMT 0400 – Strategic Analysis
Letter of Accomplishment in Career Preparation
- MGMT 0132 – The Canadian Workplace
- MGMT 0138 – Intercultural Communication
- CONV 0208 – Pronunciation Clinic
- MGMT 0134 – Powerful Business Writing
- MGMT 0142 – Effective Presentation Skills
- MGMT 0136 – Networking 101
Support and Work Placement
- Language and Study Support
Work Placement Work-integrated Learning Project
- 175 hour internship placement
- Placement determined by resume and professional goals
How long does it take to complete the program?
What is a Letter of Accomplishment (LOA)?
If your plans change, are you eligible for a refund?
Do I have to take the courses in a specific order?
1. Fill Out an Application Form
Download and submit a completed Program Application Form.
2. Gather Your Transcripts and Documents:
Your submission will include:
- A translated copy of your academic transcript. Photocopies are accepted for applications however originals are required upon arrival.
- Proof of graduation (copy of degree or diploma)
- A copy of your passport
- Proof of English language proficiency if not from an English exempt country. (i.e. IELTS, TOFEL pBT, TOFEL iBT, CLB, TOEIL)
- A copy of your resume or CV
- A letter of reference from an employer
Transcripts become the property of University of Manitoba and will not be returned.
3. Submit Your Documents:
Submit completed application form, transcripts and documents, along with your $300 application fee payment to:
Student and Instructor Services185 Extended Education Complex
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB, R3T 2N2
or by email: email@example.com
4. Reserve your seat:
Your application will be reviewed and assessed within 5 – 10 business days. If you meet the program’s eligibility criteria and if seats are available, you will be offered admission to the program you applied for. To reserve your seat, you must make a non-refundable $2,000 tuition deposit within 3 weeks of receiving your admission offer. Upon receipt of your payment, we will issue a Letter of Acceptance to you. If your tuition deposit is not received, your admission offer will expire.
5. Make final payment:
One month prior to your program start date, the remainder of the tuition ($10,900) must be paid to the the University.
As an International student with Extended Education at the University of Manitoba, you are required to get your own health care plan.
Effective Sept. 1, 2018, the Manitoba government no longer covers international students in Extended Education under Manitoba Health. All current and future students are required to obtain alternate health coverage.
Upcoming IntakesApplied Business Management
May 2019 - Closed
Sept 2019 - Closed
Applied HR Management
May 2019 - Closed
Sept 2019 - Open
Intensive English Program
Monthly Start dates Open
Important information to help you have a positive experience in Continuing and Professional Studies. (PDF)
Bachelor of Arts Integrated Studies
Take your education to the next level and apply your certificate towards an undergraduate degree. Graduates of the Applied Business Management (ABM) program are eligible to use their certificates in pursuit of a Bachelor of Arts Integrated Studies degree.
What Applied Business Management graduates have to say about the program
“I was happily surprised. I say apply, and give it a try. You will gain skills and confidence. It is a win-win situation. Applied Business Management made me more confident to understand the Canadian workplace.”Martin Enu (Nigeria)
“I liked Applied Business Management very much. It is a really good program. It gives confidence and a good sense of how to do business in Canada. The instructors were very helpful. They encouraged us to come out of our shells.”Emanpreet Kaur (India)
“Applied Business Management delivers its values and promises. The teachers were really great. I am still meeting with some of them, and they are providing references for me.”Sergey Pochikovskiy (Belarus)
“Everything about Applied Business Management was really beneficial to me. Every course made me feel so lucky. All of my classes I loved so much. The work placement coordinator was there to encourage and motivate me. The courses and teachers encourage you.”Nan (Luna) Wang (China)