Applied Business Management
A Year of Living, Learning, and Working in Canada
Discover a lifetime of professional opportunity … from Winnipeg to the world. The Applied Business Management Program will help you advance your career or create new opportunities by increasing your intercultural fluency and giving you international work experience.
Ideally suited for internationally educated professionals with a business management career choice, the curricula combines comprehensive management training with targeted language support and valuable on-the-job experience that you can apply from here to anywhere.
Launch your career in the Canadian workplace by developing essential management skills, and embark on your employment path in Manitoba.
Certificate courses range from managerial communication, to legal perspectives and financial management. Additional career success workshops, mentorship opportunities, and a path to professional designation – with an industry recognized association, make Applied Business Management an ideal pathway towards professional success in Manitoba and beyond.
Certificate and Letter of Accomplishment (LOA)
Who is the Program for?
- A two-year diploma or undergraduate degree is required for admission
- IELTS 6.0 / TOEFL iBT 82
- If you have lower proficiency scores, you can receive conditional admission, but you will have to successfully complete Level 700 in the Intensive English Program in order to meet the entrance requirements.
Complete the following application form and submit all required documents.
- Download and fill out the Application form (PDF)
- Include a translated copy of your academic transcript
- Send a copy of your passport
- Include proof of English language proficiency. (i.e. IELTS, TOEFL pBT, TOEFL iBT, CLB, TOEIC)
- Proof of Graduation (official diploma or degree)
- Strengthen your resume: Gain a University of Manitoba certificate (Certificate in Management and Administration) a recognized university credential, and apply for a professional designation with the Canadian Institute of Management subject to their requirements.
- Complete a Letter of Accomplishment: Career Success in Canada to develop the soft skills that will help you succeed in the Canadian workplace: learn how to successfully apply for jobs, build your communication skills and begin to network;
- Ladder into a degree at the University of Manitoba: 24 credit hours of the certificate program can be applied towards the Bachelor of Arts: Integrated Studies.
- Qualify for Manitoba health coverage: International students studying for 6 months or longer receive the same health insurance coverage as Manitoba residents.
- Benefit from the Government of Manitoba initiatives for international students to work and live in Manitoba. To find out more, please check the website of the Government of Manitoba. To find out if you qualify for work opportunities in Manitoba, please also check the Government of Canada website.
- Application fee: $300
- Tuition: $12,900
- Total: $13,200 + textbooks
Certificate in Management and Administration
- MGMT 1030 – Canadian Business Law
- MGMT 0100 – Canadian Business: An Introduction
- FINC 0300 – Financial Management
- FINC 0200 – Introductory Accounting for Business
- MGMT 0120 – Managerial Communication
- MGMT 0110 – Organizational Behaviour
- MGMT 0400 – Strategic Analysis
Letter of Accomplishment: Career Success in Canada
- MGMT 0132 – The Canadian Workplace
- MGMT 0138 – Intercultural Communication
- CONV 0208 – Pronunciation Clinic
- MGMT 0134 – Powerful Business Writing
- MGMT 0142 – Effective Presentation Skills
- MGMT 0136 – Networking 101
Support and Work Placement
- Language Needs Assessment
- Language and Study Support
Work Placement Work-integrated Learning Project
- 175 hour internship placement
- Placement determined by resume and professional goals
- Industries include: business, agriculture, aerospace, finance, and more
How long does it take to complete the program?
What is a Letter of Accomplishment (LOA)?
If your plans change, are you eligible for a refund?
Do I have to take the courses in a specific order?
Can I just enroll in a single course if I'm not interested in the entire program?
1. Fill Out an Application Form
Download and submit a completed Program Application Form.
2. Gather Your Transcripts and Documents:
Your submission will include:
- A translated copy of your academic transcript. Photocopies are accepted for applications however originals are required upon arrival.
- Proof of graduation (copy of degree or diploma)
- A copy of your passport
- Proof of English language proficiency if not from an English exempt country. (i.e. IELTS, TOFEL pBT, TOFEL iBT, CLB, TOEIL)
- A copy of your resume or CV
Transcripts become the property of University of Manitoba and will not be returned.
3. Submit Your Documents:
Submit completed application form, transcripts and documents, along with your $300 application fee payment to:
Student and Instructor Services185 Extended Education Complex
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB, R3T 2N2
or by email: email@example.com
4. Reserve your seat:
Your application will be reviewed and assessed within 5 – 10 business days. If you meet the program’s eligibility criteria and if seats are available, you will be offered admission to the program you applied for. To reserve your seat, you must make a non-refundable $2,000 tuition deposit within 3 weeks of receiving your admission offer. Upon receipt of your payment, we will issue a Letter of Acceptance to you. If your tuition deposit is not received, your admission offer will expire.
5. Make final payment:
One month prior to your program start date, the remainder of the tuition ($10,900) must be paid to the the University.
Upcoming IntakesApplied Business Management
May 2018 - Closed
Sept 2018 - Open
Applied HR Management
May 2018 - Open
Sept 2018 - Open
Intensive English Program
Monthly Start dates Open
Important information to help you have a positive experience in Continuing and Professional Studies. (PDF)
Bachelor of Arts Integrated Studies
Take your education to the next level and apply your certificate towards an undergraduate degree. Graduates of the Applied Business Management (ABM) program are eligible to use their certificates in pursuit of a Bachelor of Arts Integrated Studies degree.